Deech: barristers and solicitors should share training

first_imgBarristers and solicitors should share most of their training, the chair of the Bar Standards Board has proposed.Lady Deech (pictured) told students at Oxford University last week that the new structures in which lawyers can practise, and the severe shortage of pupillages, have called into question the way both branches of the profession should be trained.In comments which partially echoed Law Society president John Wotton’s landmark speech last week, she said: ‘I wish that intending solicitors and barristers could do most of the core professional training together and then branch out to the bar or solicitor side towards the end.’Speaking at St Anne’s College, where she was formerly a law tutor and then principal, Deech said the change would help those uncertain which branch of the profession to train for, as well as those who realise that they made the wrong choice.‘It cannot be beyond the wit of man to devise this,’ she said, noting that there is already an overlap between subjects taught on the Legal Practice Course and the Bar Professional Training Course.Deech said: ‘Something has to be done to ensure flexibility for those who are unsure of their future. At the very least, a person who wants to switch from one branch to the other should only have to take the missing modules and not the entire course from scratch.’Addressing the issue of fierce competition to join the bar, Deech warned that the BPTC costs about £16,000 and ends ‘with the very real possibility of never getting a pupillage’. She said the BSB’s planned aptitude test for those applying to do the BPTC would help the situation.Deech questioned whether the £4m spent on the inns’ annual scholarships, money which ‘goes straight into the pockets of the BPTC providers’, might be better spent funding more pupillages.She also warned that ‘urgent consideration’ should be given to the number of qualified law graduates with no job, who may come to resent the legal profession for excluding them.However, Deech stressed that the framework of legal education is fit for purpose, contrary to the suggestion made by David Edmonds, chair of the Legal Services Board, in November 2010. She said: ‘It is among the best legal educations in the world.’last_img read more

Carrasco Back to Form; Indians Beat Up Royals 8-3

first_img Related TopicsCarlos CarrascoIndiansLonnie ChisenhallMichael BrantleyRoyals Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE. Matt Loedecenter_img CLEVELAND – The last time Carlos Carrasco took the mound he was only able to muster 2.2 innings allowing four runs on four hits against the White Sox.With a couple days to focus and get more away from his injury, the Indians righty was back to form on Monday night at Progressive Field, allowing a first inning homer but then settling in to shut down the Royals in a Tribe 8-3 win.His last start was his first since a trip to the disabled list, and Monday night he looked a lot more like the pitcher that has been at times dominant in games for the Indians in 2015.“It was different today, just the way that I feel today,” Carrasco said. “The way that I attacked today that’s the way I had been feeling from the beginning of the season till now, but my last start I didn’t feel that.”The victory is the 13th of the season for Carrasco against 10 losses. He went six innings allowing a run on five hits with two walks and nine strikeouts. His ERA is now at 3.62 on the season.“Once he established and got into the game, he started throwing one of the better breaking balls he’s had,” Indians manager Terry Francona said.“With this team (Royals) as aggressive as they are with fastballs, he could throw it for a strike or a strike to ball, and that really played a part in his success tonight.”The offense gave Carrasco plenty of help after he allowed a leadoff homer in the first to Royals left fielder Alex Gordon. The Tribe nine struck for eight runs on 12 hits, with most of them coming off K.C. starter Edinson Vólquez. The last time Vólquez faced the Indians back on July 27th he went six innings allowing three runs on six hits with five walks and four strikeouts.Monday night Jason Kipnis responded right away as he led off the Indians first with a solo homer to tie the game at one apiece. It was Kipnis’ 8th homer of the season and 47th run batted in.The Indians offense struck again in the third as Lonnie Chisenhall (3-for-3 with 3 RBI) hit a double to right to give the Indians a 2-1 lead.Gio Urshela extended the Tribe lead in the 4th with a solo HR on a 1-1 pitch to the bleachers in left center to make it a 3-1 game.Volquez had allowed just 12 homers in 175.1 innings entering Monday’s game, but both Kipnis and Urshela went deep against him.Chisenhall hit a sac fly in the 5th to make it 4-1, but then the Royals clawed their way back in the 7th.They pushed two runs across against Zach McAllister, with a Gordon single off Bryan Shaw that was charged to McAlliser, and then a Ben Zobrist dribbler to third that got another run home to make it 4-3.The Indians got the run back and more, as they scored three in their half of the 7th to put the game away. With runners on Chisenhall again came through with a single to right to score a run, and then Yan Gomes drove a double to the gap in right center to score two to close out the scoring at 8-3.Kyle Crockett and Jeff Manship were able to close it out for the Indians to secure the win and push them back to .500 at 71-71 as they stay in the Wild Card race in the American League.Carrasco has been limited after coming back from his stint on the DL, but it’s now two outings, and Francona seems to feel when he takes the mound in five days he will be able to go full strength as long as he’s throwing well. “He’s into it enough we can let the game dictate it,” Francona said.Tuesday night at 7:10pm Josh Tomlin (5-1, 2.85) goes for the Indians against Kris Medlen (3-1, 4.58) for the Royals. last_img read more

‘Proud’ QPR chairman hopes for repeat of shock win at Everton

first_imgAway we got to play as normal and not feel inferior. We beaten everton away before . my first game as chairman . had many injuries .— Tony Fernandes (@tonyfernandes) December 6, 2014Vice-chairman Amit Bhatia tweeted: “HEAVENLY result! I’m just BEYOND overjoyed.”And chief executive Philip Beard added: “Good performance and another great win. Probably won’t make first on MOTD but who cares! #qpr.”Austin’s goal was his eighth of the season and came after Leroy Fer had put QPR ahead early in the second half.The striker tweeted: “Great win today, massive 3 points! Mixed emotions for me but so happy to get the goal. Fans were great as always. Let’s keep this run going!”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook QPR chairman Tony Fernandes is hoping for another shock win at Everton following the vital victory at home to Burnley.Fernandes took to Twitter after Rangers’ 2-0 win at Loftus Road, where Charlie Austin scored the all-important second goal but was then sent off.AdChoices广告It means he will be suspended for the trip to face Everton, where the relegation-threatened visitors will be massive underdogs – just as they were before winning there soon after the Fernandes-fronted takeover of 2011.Fernandes tweeted: “Super super proud . that was character. 10 men and we kept firm. Great team spirit. Charlie was unlucky. Harsh . great great win.“Away we got to play as normal and not feel inferior. We beaten everton away before . my first game as chairman . had many injuries.”last_img read more

Gmail and Google Calendar on iOS Get Some Long-Awaited Improvements

first_imgWhy Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts As a workforce, we are becoming increasingly reliant on our mobile devices in order to do our jobs, and so it can be particularly frustrating when you can’t quickly find an email or set up an appointment on your phone. Although Google does offer mobile Web versions of its apps, there are still a lot of reasons why people might opt to utilize the native email and calendar apps on the iPhones. But in doing so they’ve had to battle some of the frustrations that come with data not syncing properly.But Google has unveiled three updates to Google Sync today that will greatly improve Gmail and Google Calendars on your iOS devices. Google Sync allows you to utilize the native mail and calendar apps on the iPhone and connect them to your Gmail accounts through Microsoft Exchange. Today’s update lets you search all of your emails in Gmail, not simply the emails that are stored locally by the iOS native app. Furthermore, you’ll be able to accept or decline appointment invitations from within the native calendar app. Finally – and a feature that’s particularly compelling for people that utilize Google Apps – you’ll be able to send email from within the native app from any email address. You’ll be able to now take advantage of Gmail’s “send mail as” feature. This means that you’ll be able to send messages via the default email you have established via your Gmail account.To be able to utilize these updates, you will have to set up Google Sync on your iPhone. This is slightly different than simply specifying your Gmail address as your iOS account. Google has full instructions here.To establish the “Send as” feature, you”ll need to visit http://m.google.com/sync. This will also let you sync additional Google calendars to your iOS devices. audrey watterscenter_img Tags:#Google#web A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

Corini: ‘Brescia dominated after break’

first_imgEugenio Corini maintains Brescia “dominated the second half, but should’ve closed down” the Inter strikers earlier in a 2-1 defeat. Lautaro Martinez opened the scoring with a deflected strike, then Romelu Lukaku doubled it with a scorcher from distance. Dimitri Bisoli’s finish ricocheted in off Milan Skriniar. “It was a good performance, we had to settle, as we’ve only been working with this system for a couple of days and at the start we didn’t have the right shape,” the coach told Sky Sport Italia. “We went behind with a bit of bad luck, but then dominated the second half and pushed to the very end. We should’ve closed down both Lukaku and Lautaro, but we were too passive in our defending. In Serie A, there are players who can put the ball in the net from 25 metres out. “Unfortunately, the ball didn’t want to go in, so we go home empty-handed, but I am proud of this team for many reasons. “It was the response I wanted from a team in a difficult situation and an uphill struggle, but I never doubted these players anyway. “We must realise our dimension and our role in this season. We had two debutants in Serie A this evening, so if we don’t realise where we came from, where we are and what we want to achieve, it’ll all become more difficult. “The analysis should be also on the way we played the game, not just the results. I understand the popular conception of our campaign, but I want what is best for Brescia and I don’t feel that this ‘in or out’ approach is healthy for anyone.” Mario Balotelli was certainly more impressive than at the weekend with Genoa, but still has only one goal this season for Brescia. “I realise Mario attracts a lot of attention, but we need to just leave him alone to grow and develop in the role, to understand the context he is in. A great player combines talent with other attributes and I am proud to help accompany him in this journey, but I can only do so much and he is the one who has to take the final step.” Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/last_img read more

2012 Queensland Junior State Cup Results

first_img180 teams from across Queensland took to the fields at Hervey Bay Sports Complex last weekend to compete in the 2012 Queensland Junior State Cup. The Gold Coast was rewarded for its strong performances on the field, winning the Eggers Moles affiliate championship, making three of the 10 finals at the event. At the event it was also announced that Hervey Bay will host the championships for the next five years. Congratulations to the following teams on their respective wins at the event:10’s Girls Caboolture 2 defeated Toowoomba 1 Player of the Final – Chloe Sawtell (Caboolture)10’s Boys Palm Beach 2 defeated Redlands 1Player of the Final – Branden Taylor (Palm Beach)12’s GirlsBrisbane Metropolitan 3 defeated Gold Coast 2Player of the Final – Shante Phillips (Brisbane Metropolitan)12’s BoysIpswich 7 defeated Gold Coast 1Player of the Final – Paul Karaitiana (Ipswich)14’s GirlsRedlands 3 defeated Toowoomba 2Player of the Final – Jo Miller (Redlands)14’s BoysGold Coast 5 defeated Ipswich 2Player of the Final – AJ Brimson (Gold Coast)16’s Girls Rockhampton 3 defeated Ipswich/First Contact 2Player of the Final – Tamika Upton (Rockhampton)16’s BoysRedlands 5 defeated Ipswich 4Player of the Final – Corey Russell (Redlands)18’s GirlsCaboolture 5 defeated Toowoomba 1Player of the Final – Paige Parker (Caboolture)18’s Boys BMTA/First Contact 7 defeated Labrador 2Player of the Final – Ash Taylor (BMTA/First Contact)Related LinksJunior State Cuplast_img read more

Remington bankruptcy shows depth of US gun slump Update

Explore further “Lazard approached over 30 potential funding sources to provide such financing,” Lefkovitz said. “The vast majority of lenders contacted, however, indicated that they were reluctant to provide financing to firearms manufacturers.”Remington instead turned to its existing lenders, including JPMorgan Chase and Franklin Advisers, Lefkovits said. Several others with long relationships with Remington, including Bank of America and Wells Fargo, are also providing financing during the propcess.The reorganization, considered a “prepackaged” bankruptcy because the major parties have already reached agreement, would eliminate $775 million in debt and shift to creditors control of new equity.Besides the financial incentive to stay in the transaction, banks involved in the bankruptcy might face legal liabilities if they walked away now.Bank of America and JPMorgan declined to comment. Wells Fargo did not immediately respond to request for comment.The bankruptcy comes amid intensifying pressure on major companies to take a stand on guns.Last week, Citigroup became the first major US bank to unveil significant new policies on guns, announcing it would require retail clients to bar sales to those under 21 or to people who have not passed a background check.Citigroup said it would also start “due diligence” among its gun manufacturing clients to understand their operations and whether they are in line with “common sense” gun policy.Asset manager BlackRock, the largest shareholder in several leading gun stocks, has also signaled plans to intensify scrutiny. It said in a March 2 notice that it was taking steps to reach out to clients who do not want to hold gun stocks and stepping up engagement with firearms executives on their products. But the hard times now facing gun companies began in November 2016.That was when Donald Trump’s surprise election victory in the US led to a sudden drop in US firearms demand, which had been robust until then as gun owners stockpiled in anticipation of a Hillary Clinton presidency.With Trump an avowed gun rights supporter with boasts of warm ties to the National Rifle Association, in office, gun enthusiasts slowed purchases, causing a glut. Massive discounting and deep layoffs at firearms companies soon followed.Gunmakers now face intensifying public scrutiny following the February 14 Florida school shooting that left 17 dead, sparking Saturday’s “March for our Lives.” Retailers such as Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart have moved to to distance themselves from the extreme end of the political spectrum on gun rights—with aversion spreading to the financial sector as well.But the immediate problem facing Remington and other firearms companies is the expectation for “new, lower levels of consumer firearm demand,” American Outdoor Brands chief executive James Debney said earlier this month.He said “flattish” firearms sales could persist for another 12-18 months.Headquartered in North Carolina, Remington dates to 1816, making it one of the nation’s oldest gunmakers.Besides guns, it makes bullets and barrel equipment, employing 2,700 people at seven facilities in the US and exporting to 52 countries, chief financial officer Stephen Jackson said in a filing in US Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.Remington experienced a “significant decline in sales” over the last year when demand “ultimately did not materialize” after the company boosted output in 2016, Jackson said. Operating profits in 2017 dwindled to just $33.6 million, less than one third the level just two years earlier, Jackson said. Gun reform advocates line Pennsylvania Avenue while attending the March for Our Lives rally March 24, 2018 in Washington, DC Some financers say noOn February 12, two days before the Parkland shooting, Remington signaled plans to file for bankruptcy protection, saying it reached a preliminary agreement with its creditors to allow the company to operate while it reorganizes.Remington however encountered difficulty with efforts to expand its pool of financers for the period after the bankruptcy filing, according to Ari Lefkovits, managing partner of Lazard Freres, which was hired by Remington. US gun maker arming Wii shooter game This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. The US gunmaker Remington filed for bankruptcy protection on Sunday, a day after marchers swarmed US cities nationwide to call for greater regulation of firearms. Protestors chant during the March for Our Lives rally on March 24, 2018 in Chicago, Illinois Citation: Remington bankruptcy shows depth of US gun slump (Update) (2018, March 26) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-03-gunmaker-remington-bankruptcy.html © 2018 AFP read more