Alleged Drug Ring Leader Faces Life In Prison

first_imgOne of the six men indicted on August 20 as part of the alleged Montauk drug distribution ring arrests made earlier this month is facing 20 felony charges, including one of operating as a major drug trafficker, with a personal profit of $75,000 or more.Geraldo Jose Vargas-Munoz, who was working in the kitchen of Swallow East as a dishwasher for nominal pay, is facing possible life in prison if convicted of even one of the most serious charges, which are classified as A felonies. Those charges include three counts of selling a half-ounce or more of cocaine in one sale, along with an even more serious charge of selling two ounces or more of cocaine, apparently all to undercover agents, along with a charge of criminal possession of eight ounces or more of cocaine, and the charge of directing a major drug ring. Besides those six charges, there are 14 more felony charges hanging over his head.District Attorney Tim Sini said in a press conference August 16 that many of the sales the group made were out of the back doors of the various Montauk restaurants where they worked. According to the District Attorney, they all were working for low wages as a front for their criminal activity. Israel Padilla-Rojas, who, according to police, was in possession of a small amount of narcotics at one of five locations police raided that morning, told the court during his arraignment that he works as a dishwasher at the Gig Shack. He said that he works 80 hours a week, and makes $600.Five other indictments were handed down by the grand jury, according to court records. William Crespo-Duran is facing one A felony, possession of four ounces or more of cocaine, along with two other felonies, conspiracy to sell drugs and possession. Elvin Silva-Ruiz has also been charged with an A felony, for allegedly selling a half ounce or more to an undercover agent. He is facing five additional drug related felony charges, as well.Silva-Ruiz was arrested August 14 at JFK Airport, where he was attempting to board a plane. After his arrest, he was taken to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital for an undisclosed medical condition. Southampton Justice Barbara Wilson performed his initial bedside arraignment under the watchful eye of a Suffolk County deputy sheriff. Silva-Ruiz has since been released from the hospital, and is in county jail in Riverside.Gilberto Quintana-Crespo, Eric Mendez, and Antonio Ramirez-Gonzalez were all charged by the grand jury with one felony count each of conspiring to distribute cocaine. Except for Mendez, who posted $10,000 bail before the indictment was handed down, the group is being held without bail. The men were arrested as part of an operation that combined the forces of the East Hampton Town police, the federal Drug Enforcement Agency, U.S. Postal Inspectors, and the District Attorney’s East End Drug Task Force. They are all scheduled to be arraigned by New York State Justice Timothy Mazzei tomorrow. All are natives of Puerto Rico who have been coming to Montauk for the summer season for several years. [email protected] Share Geraldo Jose Vargas-Munoz, the alleged ringleader of a Montauk cocaine dealing group, is facing multiple life in prison sentences. Independent/Justin Meinkenlast_img read more

Strong winds leave hundreds of Farmington area homes without power

first_imgHundreds of Farmington area residents are without power tonight as winds clocked at 50-60 mph swept through southeast Michigan Friday.More than two dozen smaller outages are scattered across the community. The largest affected areas are east of Orchard Lake Road between 10 and 11 Mile Roads, and east and west of Halsted Roads between 12 and 13 Mile Roads.According to DTE Energy, about 260,000 customers are affected, and the power company was still assessing damage around 7:30 p.m. No restoration estimates are available on DTE Energy’s outage map. The Detroit Free Press reported that the Oakland County International Airport in Waterford recorded a gust of 58 mph, and Detroit Metro Airport clocked a 61 mph gust. Reported by Farmington Voice Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Oh what a night at Oshkosh opener!

first_imgBy Dave PanskeOSHKOSH, Wis. (April 29) – Season openers have a way of getting out of control sometimes, and with 171 cars in 6 divisions filling the pit area at the Oshkosh SpeedZone Raceway on Friday night, one could only hope for the best.The veteran staff at the Zone was up to the challenge and an entire program was complete in 3-½ hours. The drivers also did their job to near perfection with all very competitive features run in just un­der an hour. There were only a handful of cautions during the entire night, compliments of a very smooth, fast track.Defending national and track champion Travis Van Straten pulled away from the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car field on his way to the feature win. Ryan Blank and Jerry Wheeler battled for second with Winkler taking the spot at the finish while Blank, in his first run in the Stock Car division, set­tled for a strong third place finish.With a stout 46-car field in the Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modified division, it was a tough go making the main event, with 24 cars on the grid.Steve Schneider took command at the start and opened a lead with Benji LaCrosse moving into the runner up spot on lap six. For eight circuits, LaCrosse ran outside of Schneider and it was back and forth for the lead.A lapped car on lap 15 messed up the momentum briefly, which was all Schneider needed to re­gain the lead and move on to collect his first feature win of 2016.  LaCrosse could not get back to the leader and finished right behind in second. Defending champion Marcus Yarie had to make the main through the ‘B’ feature, made an exciting run from the back of the field through traffic and ended up taking third.Chris Budzban grabbed the lead in the Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod main and put distance on the field over the first half of the race. Once Tom Schneider settled into the runner-up spot, he slowly cut into the lead that Budzban had established and after lap 10 was within striking distance.Lapped traffic also came into the picture as the leaders had to move through traffic.  On lap 15, Schneider pulled alongside Budzban on the front chute and after two more laps was in control.Not to be outdone by his brother Steve, Tom ran to his first feature win of the season and the pair shared victory lane after their back-to-back victories. Budzban took a close second place finish with J.J. Andersen third.last_img read more

Huge crowds pack downtown Toronto for Raptors parade

first_imgAngelie Sabanal gains lessons from early loss in Shanghai Olympic rings arrive in host city on barge into Tokyo Bay Solon urges Solgen to reconsider quo warranto petition vs ABS-CBN Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday PLAY LIST 03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?01:08Huge Toronto crowd celebrates Raptors’ historic win00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 11 nabbed for shabu, drug den busted in Maguindanao Rio’s unsafe Olympic Park ordered closed by Brazilian judge Deandre Ayton shines as Suns pound Knicks Toronto Raptors forward Kawhi Leonard, left to right, smokes a cigar holding his playoffs MVP trophy as he celebrates with performing artist Drake and his mother Kim Robertson during the 2019 Toronto Raptors NBA basketball championship parade in Toronto, Monday, June 17, 2019. (Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP)TORONTO — Jubilant Raptors fans decked out in team gear are jamming downtown Toronto for a parade for the NBA champions.Crowds packed the route and the square outside City Hall where the march is to end in the afternoon. Fans, many skipping school and work, filled the streets and subways as early as 7 a.m.ADVERTISEMENT Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted View comments Taal evacuees make the most of ‘unusual’ clothing donations, leaves online users laughing Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is to attend briefly. Mayor John Tory declared Monday “We The North Day” in Toronto, after the NBA champions’ slogan.Some 1.5 million are expected to be at the parade. The Raptors are traveling in open-air double-decker buses with the NBA championship trophy.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubs LATEST STORIES Star guard Kyle Lowry, the team’s longest-serving member, said on Twitter: “Grandma I know you front row already!!”The last time the city held a sports celebration of this magnitude was after the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series in 1993. MOST READlast_img read more