Carrasco Back to Form; Indians Beat Up Royals 8-3

first_img Related TopicsCarlos CarrascoIndiansLonnie ChisenhallMichael BrantleyRoyals Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE. Matt Loedecenter_img CLEVELAND – The last time Carlos Carrasco took the mound he was only able to muster 2.2 innings allowing four runs on four hits against the White Sox.With a couple days to focus and get more away from his injury, the Indians righty was back to form on Monday night at Progressive Field, allowing a first inning homer but then settling in to shut down the Royals in a Tribe 8-3 win.His last start was his first since a trip to the disabled list, and Monday night he looked a lot more like the pitcher that has been at times dominant in games for the Indians in 2015.“It was different today, just the way that I feel today,” Carrasco said. “The way that I attacked today that’s the way I had been feeling from the beginning of the season till now, but my last start I didn’t feel that.”The victory is the 13th of the season for Carrasco against 10 losses. He went six innings allowing a run on five hits with two walks and nine strikeouts. His ERA is now at 3.62 on the season.“Once he established and got into the game, he started throwing one of the better breaking balls he’s had,” Indians manager Terry Francona said.“With this team (Royals) as aggressive as they are with fastballs, he could throw it for a strike or a strike to ball, and that really played a part in his success tonight.”The offense gave Carrasco plenty of help after he allowed a leadoff homer in the first to Royals left fielder Alex Gordon. The Tribe nine struck for eight runs on 12 hits, with most of them coming off K.C. starter Edinson Vólquez. The last time Vólquez faced the Indians back on July 27th he went six innings allowing three runs on six hits with five walks and four strikeouts.Monday night Jason Kipnis responded right away as he led off the Indians first with a solo homer to tie the game at one apiece. It was Kipnis’ 8th homer of the season and 47th run batted in.The Indians offense struck again in the third as Lonnie Chisenhall (3-for-3 with 3 RBI) hit a double to right to give the Indians a 2-1 lead.Gio Urshela extended the Tribe lead in the 4th with a solo HR on a 1-1 pitch to the bleachers in left center to make it a 3-1 game.Volquez had allowed just 12 homers in 175.1 innings entering Monday’s game, but both Kipnis and Urshela went deep against him.Chisenhall hit a sac fly in the 5th to make it 4-1, but then the Royals clawed their way back in the 7th.They pushed two runs across against Zach McAllister, with a Gordon single off Bryan Shaw that was charged to McAlliser, and then a Ben Zobrist dribbler to third that got another run home to make it 4-3.The Indians got the run back and more, as they scored three in their half of the 7th to put the game away. With runners on Chisenhall again came through with a single to right to score a run, and then Yan Gomes drove a double to the gap in right center to score two to close out the scoring at 8-3.Kyle Crockett and Jeff Manship were able to close it out for the Indians to secure the win and push them back to .500 at 71-71 as they stay in the Wild Card race in the American League.Carrasco has been limited after coming back from his stint on the DL, but it’s now two outings, and Francona seems to feel when he takes the mound in five days he will be able to go full strength as long as he’s throwing well. “He’s into it enough we can let the game dictate it,” Francona said.Tuesday night at 7:10pm Josh Tomlin (5-1, 2.85) goes for the Indians against Kris Medlen (3-1, 4.58) for the Royals. last_img read more

Bakewell throws support behind GFF/ExxonMobil International Futsal tournament

first_imgBAKEWELL, one of Guyana’s largest bakery establishments, is the latest member of corporate Guyana to throw its support behind the GFF-ExxonMobil International Futsal tournament scheduled for December 27 – 30 at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall.The monetary donation was presented by Bakewell’s Manager, Rajendranaught Ganga, to GFF’s President Wayne Forde on Friday last in the presence of Aubrey “Shanghai” Major, the tournament organizer representative.The four-day festival will kick off with six matches that will be played from 18:00hrs to 24:00hrs, with each match being played on the hour, culminating with the final match at 23:00hrs.The teams, which include Morvant Caledonia United from Trinidad and Tobago, ZV All-Stars from Suriname, and a São Paulo selection from Brazil, will be placed in two groups.The locally participating teams are an East Coast All-Stars, Linden All-Stars, Georgetown All-Stars and West Demerara All-Stars.The winning team will pocket $1.2 million, while the losing finalist will receive half that amount. Third and fourth-placed finishers will pocket $300,000 and $100,000 respectively.last_img read more

Hertha Berlin coach Pal Dardai to step down in summer

first_imgAfter a positive start to the season, Hertha have won just two of 13 games this year, plummeting to 11th in the table.A 2-0 loss to Hoffenheim on Sunday was their fifth defeat in a row, piling the pressure on 43-year-old Hungarian coach Dardai. On Tuesday, the club announced that Dardai would end nearly five seasons in charge at the end of this season. “Four-and-a-half years of good, constructive work is a long time in professional football, but we have now decided that we need a new impetus in the summer,” said Hertha’s director of sport Michael Preetz.“Pal is an important part of the positive development of the club and will remain a big part of the Hertha family in the future.Dardai has been associated with Hertha since his playing days, and still holds the club record of 373 appearances. Even on Monday, he remained bullish about rumours that he would be sacked, saying that he and his team were doing a “great job” and that he “enjoyed the trust” of the club. On Tuesday, he said that Hertha “is and will remain my home”. “I am thankful for the chance I was given here and very proud of what we have achieved,” he said. The club confirmed that Dardai’s “general” contract would not be cancelled, and that he would remain at the club as a youth team coach.last_img read more

Dalton Myers | Wanted: More awareness of JAIP

first_imgI’ve always believed that the Jamaican Athletes Insurance Plan (JAIP) was a very good initiative by the Government that is geared at developing sport in Jamaica. It therefore bothers me that ever since the launch and implementation of the programme in 2016, several ministry officials, including the Minister of Sports, Olivia Grange, have had to publicly urge athletes to be part of the plan. In 2015, Cabinet approved the Insurance plan to provide more than 1,000 athletes across all sports with group health as well as life and personal accident insurance. The plan was then launched at the Office of the Prime Minister in 2016. At the time, the Government outlined that Guardian Insurance would provide group health insurance for 1,323 athletes from approximately 28 national sports associations that were registered with the JAIP. The Government also indicated that as part of the plan, Allied Insurance Brokers, through Sagicor, would provide personal accident insurance. You can understand then why it bothers me that the Government has had to be pleading with member associations to have their athletes apply to this plan particularly because medical expenses have been among the major challenges for Jamaican athletes, especially amateurs trying to make it to the professional level. Lack of medical support leads to issues with athlete-injury management and injury prevention as well as creates psychological barriers for athletes when they are then not able to train and compete at their best . Sadly, many athletes are still not aware of the plan, and in some cases, are ignorant of the benefits. In April 2018, Director of Sport Policy in the ministry Suzette Ison, speaking at the ‘More than an Athlete: Not Just a Player’ symposium, mentioned that many athletes were still not aware of the programme. She encouraged all athletes to check with their national associations to ascertain registration status. She even said that once an athlete was on the development squad or the national team, he/she should be registered so as to be eligible for the plan. Grange has made similar comments over the past six months, even suggesting that associations need to find ways to get athletes on board. In a space where we argue that Government is not doing enough, I would want to believe that any support given would be taken up by athletes and their support personnel. The interesting thing is that ever so often, we see or hear of athletes who meet the criteria for the JAIP but have not applied, seeking financial support from the Government or the general public. The minister wants more athletes registered in the plan, especially since her Government had seen the importance of the project and continued to fund it through the National Health Fund, the Sports Development Foundation, CHASE, and the Tourism Enhancement Fund for over $60 million. INDUSTRY CHALLENGES This is part of a broader issue, though, and speaks to some of the challenges we have in this country in building our sports industry. Some athletes do not opt into the plan because they already have personal plans or coverage through their tertiary institutions, et cetera. Others don’t because they believe being part of it equates to being “controlled” or bonded by the Government. Others are told by support personnel not to apply for various reasons. The other challenge is that some athletes genuinely are not aware of the benefits because their support personnel themselves are not familiar with those benefits. Lastly, some athletes genuinely believe that any sport benefit is for track and field and other ‘traditional’ sports and not for those in the other disciplines. Maybe greater public awareness is needed so that we can get more persons on board. I think the ministry should conduct some focus groups to ascertain the reasons for athletes not taking up this opportunity. They should also host more forums and workshops while working closely with the Jamaica Olympic Association and the Sports Development Foundation to get more support from national sporting associations for the JAIP. We have several athletes whose careers were cut short due to the inability to source funding to manage an injury. I hope this urging by the Government will be helpful. – Dalton Myers is a sports consultant and administrator. Email feedback to [email protected] or tweet @daltonsmyerslast_img read more

Fox show downloads debut on iTunes

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinals“We’re not going to stop,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of applications. Apple will continue to expand its video offerings the way its song list grew from 200,000 in 2003 to more than 3 million today. The Cupertino-based company debuted TV shows and music videos on the iTunes store in October. The store has sold more than 15 million videos – at a current rate of about a million video downloads per week – and propelled a boom in video distributed over the Internet. Rivals include shows on the TV networks’ own Web sites and Google Inc.’s video store. Time Warner Inc.’s AOL also recently launched in2TV, which streams episodes of classic TV shows with ads. SAN JOSE – Apple Computer Inc.’s iTunes Music Store started selling Fox Entertainment Group’s programs on Tuesday, adding such TV shows as the hit series “24” and classic episodes of “Lost in Space” to its growing video portfolio. The distribution deal with News Corp.’s Fox introduces 16 more series to the popular online store, representing the platform’s largest programming debut from a single network. Apple, which already sells shows from ABC, CBS and NBC, now offers over 90 television shows from more than 20 networks. Like other iTunes programs, Fox downloads will cost $1.99 each. The Fox programs include “The Shield,” “Prison Break,” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” among others, and is expected to grow. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more