More likely though, Minnesota’s best chance to get off the schneid will be Sunday against Penn State (6-9, 1-5). The Nittany Lions were theGophers’ lone victim in conference play last season, and Minnesota has lost seven straight Big Ten matches since then.But Thomson said the team is approaching the weekend with a must-win attitude, and he likes the team’s chance to get a win with its home-court advantage.“Indiana’s very good and deep, but there’s not a real big gap between us and them,” Thomson said. “Both matches are winnable, and it’d be really nice to get a win.”Men return to actionNo. 55 Minnesota’s men’s tennis team (6-10, 3-3) returns to the road for the first time since March 27, traveling to No. 56 Indiana (10-9, 4-2) for a Saturday dual and to No. 62 Penn State (13-5, 2-4) on Sunday.After playing three duals during the weekend and resting up at the start of the week, the team had a fairly normal week of practice, interim coach David Wheaton said.“There’s not a whole lot we do different,” Wheaton said. “We’re just looking for good attitude and effort every day, and that stuff will transfer over into their matches.” Women seek win at home Bob WotheApril 15, 2005Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintIt would be an understatement to say Minnesota’s women’s tennis team is glad to be returning to the Baseline Tennis Center.After all, the Gophers have lost four straight matches without truly being threatening in any of them since last playing at home March 27.That’s why coach Tyler Thomson is hailing the team’s homecoming as just the right prescription for the only Big Ten team without a conference win.“The whole team feels that we have a home-court advantage,” Thomson said. “Over the years, we’ve always had a boost here and gotten some big wins.”No. 75 Minnesota (5-11, 0-6 Big Ten) will certainly need some sort of lift to end its seven-dual losing streak that dates back to March 13.But sophomore Ida Malmberg said the team’s record is not indicative of its true ability.“We’ve been losing a lot of matches,” Malmberg said. “But you can’t tell how close they are by just looking at the scores – we’re right in all of them and losing close two- or three-set matches.”The team’s first chance to break the streak will come today against defending Big Ten co-champion and 37th-ranked Indiana (11-9, 5-1).
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
0Shares0000Chievo offered the controversial player another chance to resurrect his career, but Osvaldo has decided to hang up his boots. PHOTO/DAILYMAILMILAN, Italy, Sep 2- Maverick Dani Osvaldo has apparently turned his back on football – so he can devote more time to playing in his band.The journeyman Argentine-Italian, best known for picking fights with opponents and team-mates alike, was offered a two-year contract on deadline day by Chievo. But the 30-year-old striker turned down the Sh283.5mn-a-year offer in order to spend more time indulging his musical passions.His last club was Boca Juniors, but Osvaldo was sacked by the club after manager Guillermo Barros caught him smoking in the changing rooms during a Copa Libertadores quarter-final.He had been at the Argentine giants for less than a year, having transferred from Porto in August 2015, but made just six appearances for them.Chievo offered the controversial player another chance to resurrect his career, but Osvaldo has decided to hang up his boots.His career will be remembered for a succession of flashpoints. In 2011, he punched Roma team-mate Erik Lamela in the face after he didn’t pass to him during a defeat at Udinese.And in 2013, he called caretaker manager Aurelio Andreazzoli ‘incompetent’ after he was only brought off the bench for 15 minutes during Roma’s Coppa Italia final defeat to rivals Lazio.Osvaldo moved to Southampton but controversy followed. In January 2014, he was fined Sh5.4mn and banned for three matches for violent conduct during a touchline bust-up in a match with Newcastle.Three weeks later, he head-butted team-mate Jose Fonte during a training ground fracas, leading to the club handing him a two-week suspension.Loan spells at Juventus and Inter Milan followed, before his moves to Porto and then Boca.But the prospect of a 13th club in 11 years wasn’t appealing as Osvaldo takes his rock and roll lifestyle into, well, rock and roll.-By DailyMail–0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)