NuclearO&MOn-Site PowerReciprocating Engines A report from SNL Energy says that more than 36,000 MW of nuclear capacity could be at risk from hurricanes in the continental United States. By chloecox – Linkedin To read the full report, click here. More than 36 GW of U.S. nuclear capacity in hurricane zones Subscribe to Nuclear Power International magazine Before a hurricane makes landfall, plant operators are required by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to make preparations, shutting down the reactors two hours before the onset of hurricane-force winds and making sure backup diesel generators are fueled with at least a seven-day supply. If off-site power is lost during or after a hurricane, reactors will automatically shut down and emergency backup generators will run Plant operators also have the ability to shut down the reactors even if offsite power is maintained. Facebook Facebook No posts to display The report uses hurricane hazard zones defined by the American Red Cross stretching from Maine and down the coast to Texas. The analysis says 36,471 MW are in these hurricane zones. Forecasting service Weather Service International noted that 80 percent of all hurricanes in the past decade have occurred later than Aug. 15 and said that it still expects a âmoderately activeâ season. TAGSNextEra Linkedin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter New Jersey utility regulators extend zero-carbon breaks for PSEG nuclear power plants MAN installs dual fuel engines for 200-MW Cambodian power plant Suitors for halted Bellefonte nuclear project ask TVA to consider climate in reviving sale Twitter The report says two nuclear plants are at the highest risk due to proximity to American Red Cross-defined hurricane zones: the 2,032 MW St. Lucie plant in Florida, which is majority owned by NextEra Energy Inc. (NYSE: NEE) and the 1,928 MW Brunhswick plant in North Carolina, owned by Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK). 9.23.2013 Previous articleNRC: MHI generator design flaws to blame for nuclear plant closureNext articleNRC increases oversight at Duke Energy nuclear power plant chloecox
Oklahoma Historical Society/Getty ImagesBy TONYA SIMPSON, ABC News(TULSA, Okla.) — As protests against police brutality continue to spread across the country in the wake of the death of George Floyd, a black man who died after being pinned to the ground by a white Minneapolis, Minnesota, police officer, another Midwestern metropolis is preparing to mark the grim anniversary of one of the most violent attacks on African Americans in U.S. history.The Tulsa Race Massacre began on May 21, 1921, and continued into the early morning hours of June 1. What began as a confrontation between groups of white and black residents following the arrest of a young black man ended in the destruction of 35 city blocks in the city’s Greenwood District, an affluent area that had become known as “Black Wall Street,” home to 1,200 black residents and 300 black-owned businesses.In addition to the confrontation, many reports on the massacre say the success of the area also fueled the violence. Part of the official report on the massacre reads, “Many white Tulsans were especially incensed when black Tulsans disregarded, or challenged, Jim Crow practices. Others were both enraged at, and jealous of, the material success of some of Greenwood’s leading citizens.”Newspaper reports following the massacre said only 36 people died, but historians now believe as many 300 people were killed as white mobs destroyed and burned homes, businesses, churches, schools, hospitals and libraries in the predominantly black area.No one was prosecuted for those deaths or the destruction of property, and, nearly 100 years later, many victims of the massacre have not been identified because their remains have not been found and the event has been allowed to fade from the history books. It was only earlier this year that Oklahoma lawmakers announced a plan to include the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre in the curriculums of all state schools.Rev. Robert Turner, pastor of the Historic Vernon Chapel A.M.E. Church, one of the only buildings from that time that has survived to the present day, said he was surprised to learn of the event only after moving to the city three years ago.“My first thought was ‘Why is this not known?” Turner told ABC News. “Why are we not sharing this with the world?’”Work is underway to revitalize Tulsa’s Greenwood District ahead of the 100th anniversary of the massacre next year, and local leaders hope to mark the historic date with projects and programs that promote entrepreneurship, encourage cultural tourism and educate residents and visitors about an oft-overlooked tragedy.“This happened, it’s a part of our history,” Phil Armstrong, project director of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre Centennial Commission, told ABC News. “Every other culture has an opportunity to address their past, things that were done to them and how they coped with that, dealt with that and still rose from that.”The event that sparked the Tulsa Race Massacre is reminiscent of more recent headlines. On May 31, 1921, Dick Rowland, a young black man, was riding in an elevator with a white woman named Sarah Page. Details about what happened in the elevator have never been confirmed, but reports say Page screamed and Rowland ran off. According to official reports on the event, Tulsa Police arrested Rowland the next day.An article published in the local paper led members of the black community to believe Rowland would be lynched, so a group of black residents went to the courthouse where Rowland was being held, where they were confronted by a group of white residents. Shots were fired, witnesses interviewed in the weeks and months following the event said, but as black residents returned to the Greenwood District, they were followed by white mobs, who opened fire on black residents and began looting and setting fire to buildings. The violence lasted for several days.The case against Dick Rowland was dismissed in September 1921. According to the official report, no attempt was made to prosecute anyone responsible for the deaths or destruction.Black families displaced during the massacre lived in tent cities set up by the American Red Cross for months. The recovery process was slow and difficult, but Greenwood residents rebuilt their homes and businesses with almost no help from local, state or federal officials.Tulsa historian Hannibal B. Johnson says the history of Greenwood is a testament to the spirit of the African Americans who pioneered the community.“They suffered through the devastation of 1921 and rebuilt the community to a remarkable level and that’s not known generally,” Johnson told ABC News. “By 1925, the National Negro Business League had its national meeting here in Tulsa. The peak of this community as a business community was in the early to mid-1940s. There were well over 200 black owned businesses here.”In 2001, an official Race Riot (as it was then known) Commission was organized to review the details of the event and provide recommendations on providing reparations to survivors and their descendants. The commission’s nearly 200-page report outlines the events of the massacre and identifies several victims based on historical reports and firsthand accounts, including several reports of victims being buried in mass graves.Officials have identified three primary sites that could be the locations of mass graves connected to the 1921 massacre: Oaklawn Cemetery, Newblock Park and Rolling Oaks Memorial Gardens. A test excavation was scheduled to begin at Oaklawn Cemetery on April 1 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A new date for the excavation has not been set.Current Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum is among local officials supporting a new effort to locate those graves and identify individuals buried in them.“As we open this investigation 99 years later, there are both unknowns and truths to uncover,” Bynum said in a statement. “We are committed to exploring what happened in 1921 through a collective and transparent process.”As crowds gathered outside Tulsa’s City Hall Monday to protest the death of Floyd, Bynum invited them in to talk about racism and other issues plaguing the city.In a Facebook post, he wrote, “99 years ago, our fellow Tulsans lost their lives because white Tulsans opted for violence instead of dialogue with black Tulsans. Today, this generation of Tulsans spent 3 hours in a room working through our differences on a number of important but challenging issues.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Carlos Guatama Mejia, shown here being brought to court for his arraignment Sunday, is facing felony charges. Independent/T. E. McMorrowA traffic accident on Hampton Street Saturday, August 18, a little after noon resulted in Sag Harbor Village police arresting an East Hampton resident on felony drunken and unlicensed driving charges.According to the police, Carlos Guatama Mejia, 25, was driving a 2007 Honda Civic north when he struck another car. Failing roadside sobriety tests, he was placed under arrest. In addition to the felony charges, he also was charged with a misdemeanor for driving a car lacking an interlock ignition, which prevents a car from starting if the driver is intoxicated.At headquarters, his breath test resulted in an alleged .16 of one percent blood alcohol content, twice the .08 reading that defines intoxication.Guatama Mejia’s legal predicament is perilous. He was convicted on a misdemeanor driving while intoxicated charge just this past November in East Hampton. That conviction caused the new charges to be raised to the felony level, as well as the need for the ignition interlock. In addition, he is facing possible jail time for violating the terms of his probation.Bail was set at $10,000 Sunday morning. Initially, in tears, Guatama Mejia told Justice Lisa Rana he would not be able to make the bail. She responded that the police would allow him to make whatever calls he needed to make before he would be taken to county jail. Bail was eventually posted. Shari Frank, 50, who has residences in Manhattan and Wainscott, as well as one in Massachusetts, and Jacques Vaney, 55, of Sag Harbor, were both arrested over the weekend by Sag Harbor Village police on drunken driving charges. Vaney was arraigned Saturday morning, and Frank, Sunday. Both were released without having to post bail. [email protected] Share
McNabb Laurie, the Galloway Glens Development Officer visited the Glenkens Children’s Club recently to celebrate the construction of their new activity board. Photo Credit: Sarah Ade. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInThe Galloway Glens Landscape Partnership Scheme is a Heritage Lottery Funded scheme taking place up and down the Ken and Dee river catchment, from Carsphairn in the North to Kirkcudbright in the South. £2.7million has been provisionally secured from HLF to be spent on projects across the area that ‘connect people to their cultural, built and natural heritage’.The Galloway Glens Scheme is now over half way through the development phase and the list of projects under consideration is starting to take shape.McNabb Laurie, the Scheme’s Development Officer, clarified: “We are planning our 5 years of project activity, expected to run from 2018-2023. Projects supported will either come as a result of studies commissioned by the Scheme, all currently underway and approaching completion, or from project ideas that have been submitted by people and groups up and down the valley.”These project ideas are starting to take shape and the Scheme has categorised these under a range of headings. The following represents only a flavour of the proposals being developed:Accessing the Galloway GlensWe have a range of individual access projects under development, including proposals on Forrest Estate to improve access up Corserine, footpath improvements around Castle Douglas, helping you get out to Threave estate and opening up routes around Kirkcudbright Bay. These projects will hopefully be added to by the results of the Access Audit currently underway.Wildlife & Habitats of the Galloway GlensThis includes support for the Glenkens Red Squirrel Group and RSPB, improvements at Threave Nature Reserve, Habitat improvements along the Black Water of Dee to support the fish in the river, community woodland projects in Kirkcudbright and Carsphairn. These projects will hopefully be supplemented by the results of the study looking to reintroduce Arctic Charr into Loch Grannoch, the Natural Flood Management opportunities study and the Loch ken Fishery Study, all currently underway.Education in the Galloway GlensThe Scheme will run a comprehensive education & training programme through the delivery stage, with content aimed at all ages and locations in the valley. Particular projects under development include demonstrations of Galloway drystone dyking techniques, highlighting the work done by local peatlands and how they can be supported and workshops teaching people about the local environment. The Board of the Galloway Glens are making the training up of local young people in employable skills a focus of the Scheme, aiming to support anyone who wants to be able to stay in the area as they grow up.Heritage HubsProjects under this heading include improvements to Parton Church to highlight James Clerk Maxwell’s achievements and legacy, Pop-up heritage centres in Crossmichael and Dalry and improvements to the Balmaclellan Smiddy and Kirkcudbright Tolbooth museum.McNabb added, “Feedback was clear: Don’t build anything new, but make better use of what we have already got. We are absolutely taking this on board and hopefully the ‘heritage hub’ projects can, without losing their individual identities, be worked together to create trails and will be even greater than the sum of their parts”.Visiting the Galloway GlensA large focus of the Scheme will be to support visitor facilities, in turn supporting the local economy. Projects under development include a cycling/driving tour of the valley, including an app, to highlight historical and contemporary features such as the archaeology of the area and the hydro scheme. Also the scheme is part of the discussions surrounding the Kirkcudbright Dark Sky Visitor Centre proposal, and looking to develop Loch Ken as a ‘destination’ with a range of attractions and activities.Understanding the Galloway GlensWe have already learned so much about the area and the Scheme is working on a number of proposals that could develop this further. This includes a community archaeology project, letting people try their hand at ‘dig’ skills and also gaining a better understanding of pre-ordnance survey maps of the area and place names in use up and down the valley. McNabb added, “Projects will be developed over the next six months, with other suggestions still in the pipeline. We will be combining this project work with the outputs of our Landscape Character Assessment which is currently underway. This is being led by Northlight Heritage and people may have seen the Sights & Sites branded events taking place. These will help us submit a really detailed proposal to HLF outlining what makes the local area special and how the projects we are proposing will support the local landscape. We hope to release the full project list shortly. ”This development phase has been primarily funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, which was provisionally secured by Dumfries and Galloway Council.Councillor Colin Smyth, Chair of Dumfries and Galloway Council’s Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee this week met with McNabb this week to review progress in the scheme .Councillor Smyth said, “It is great to see the project listing start to come together. This is the result of a massive amount of community consultation and engagement up and down the valley. I understand more than 130 people attended the first round of ‘Sights & Sites’ events, giving their own personal views on what they think makes the landscape special, many thanks to everyone who has got involved. The scheme is aiming to give a genuine boost to the area, benefitting visitors and locals alike”.“The work that has been done to date shows how worthwhile the vision from council staff was when they began this whole process and I am really looking forward to seeing the final funding secured and the projects being developed on the ground” .
CORONA, Calif. – Post-season awards for IMCA Late Model and Deery Brothers Summer Series drivers are new in 2014, courtesy of Eibach Springs. Top three finishers in national point standings for the Late Models and the three lowest-finishing drivers with perfect attendance in the Late Model tour receive a set of four springs, two springs and one spring, respectively. Adding IMCA Late Models to the Eibach program is really great, especially in the way in which we’re doing it,” IMCA Marketing Director Kevin Yoder emphasized. “Targeting drivers with perfect Deery series attendance but maybe not experiencing the same success as those competing for the championship demonstrates Eibach’s commitment to their dedication.” The Corona, Calif., manufacturer and sixth-year IMCA marketing partner also continues contingencies for five other divisions.Top eligible drivers in each of the five regions for IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modified regions, both IMCA Sunoco Stock Car regions and both IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock regions, and in national standings for Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods and Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center Southern SportMods each get four springs.Runners-up each receive two springs and third-place finishers get one spring.Drivers in those divisions must compete with Eibach-manufactured springs, display two Eibach Springs decals on their race car and return a completed sign-up form to the IMCA home office by Aug. 1. Product certificates will be presented during the national awards banquet in November or mailed beginning the following week from the IMCA home office. Information about Eibach springs is available by calling 800 507-2338 and at the www.eibach.com website.