Watford sack manager Quique Sanchez Flores after less than three months back in charge

first_img PEP TALK Getty Images – Getty 3 Watford now travel to high-flying Leicester on Wednesday, by which time they appear likely to have their third permanent manager of the season in the dugout.Sanchez Flores becomes the third Premier League manager to the sacked in less than two weeks following the departures of Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham and Unai Emery at Arsenal. LIVING THE DREAM Watford have sacked their manager Quique Sanchez Flores, 85 days after he returned to the club.In early September, the Hornets dismissed Javi Gracia owing to their poor start to the season and reappointed Sanchez Flores in his place. LATEST PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS Chelsea fan arrested for allegedly racially abusing Heung-min Son SAY THAT AGAIN? appointed Ian Holloway thinks Arsenal have made a mistake in hiring Mikel Arteta deals ‘Are you ready for this?’ – Souness in rare praise of returning Paul Pogba update 3 Liverpool transfer news live: Mbappe latest, Lille star wants to join Reds in future The Spaniard previously led the club in 2015/16 and hoped to bring positive results back to Vicarage Road, however things have not improved hence the decision to restructure once again.The change comes after Watford’s 2-1 defeat at fellow strugglers Southampton, which ensured they remained rock bottom of the Premier League with just eight points from 14 matches.Watford chairman and chief executive Scott Duxbury said in a statement: “Quique is a man of great integrity and it was clear how much he wanted to have a positive impact, but ultimately results have dictated our decision.“The appointment of a new head coach is imminent and, with nearly two-thirds of the season remaining, we will provide all the support necessary to make the coming months successful.” Getty Images – Getty center_img Watford’s form in 2019 has been woeful Pep Guardiola gives Man City injury update and talks Christmas schedule Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Quique Sanchez Flores was unable to turn fortunes around at Watford Man United transfer news live: £17m bid for Barca wonderkid, English starlet linked MIKEL TALKS Arteta confirms Ljungberg’s role, discusses transfer plans and Mesut Ozil rookie error Steve Round reveals how Mikel Arteta convinced him to join Arsenal staff Watford said they would make no further comment until the appointment of a new head coach, with former Brighton boss Chris Hughton the favourite to take the role.Sanchez Flores only returned for his second spell in charge at Vicarage Road on September 7.His first game saw a point gained from a 2-2 draw with Arsenal, but this was swiftly followed by an 8-0 thumping at the hands of Manchester City.October’s draw at Tottenham and November’s win at Norwich were positive moments, though defeats to Everton, Chelsea, Burnley and now Southampton ultimately cost the 54-year-old his job. latest Spurs investigation into alleged racial abuse of Rudiger is so far ‘inconclusive’ 3 statement Chris Hughton is the big favourite to take over Getty Images – Getty last_img read more

FNB expands eWallet’s functionality

first_img28 November 2011First National Bank (FNB) is to enhance its eWallet solution, which enables employers to pay salaries directly to their employees’ mobile phones, by introducing features that enable users to pay money from their eWallet directly to a bank account, and even to pay their bills.FNB has had success with eWallet, with over R1-billion being transferred using the solution during the year between its launch in October 2009 and October this year. Encouraged by the success of eWallet in South Africa, FNB has since made the solution available in Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland.“When we created the eWallet, recipients were only able to send money to another cellphone,” eWallet Solutions CEO Yolande van Wyk said in a statement this week.“With this enhancement, eWallet users are able to pay funds directly into an individual’s bank account at any of the major South African banks, or easily make a payment to one of our pre-loaded beneficiaries such as municipalities, Edgars etc.”Customers’ feedbackFollowing customers’ feedback, the eWallet can now hold a maximum balance of R3 000, increased from the R 1 000 limit introduced at the product’s launch in 2009. The maximum amount a customer can transfer to another person per day has also been increased from R 1 000 to R1 500.“Enabling South Africans to transfer money directly into a bank account or pay their bill without having to leave their homes is taking us closer to making banking truly accessible to the previously unbanked,” added Van Wyk.The eWallet allows for money to be sent even to people who do not have a bank account. When sent money in this manner, the recipient receives an SMS informing them that they have received money, and the necessary instructions to withdraw it from an FNB ATM.“The beauty of eWallet is that the recipient doesn’t need a bank account to be able to access the money sent to them,” she said. “In addition to withdrawing cash, buying prepaid airtime or sending the money to another person, they can also pay their bills instantly and conveniently.”Innovation award shortlisteWallet has been shortlisted as a finalist for the Financial World Innovation Awards 2011 in the Innovation in the delivery of financial products – Multichannel and Mobile Banking.The Financial World Innovation Awards have been running for more than a decade, recognising examples of creativity and vision within the financial services industry. The awards will take place in London on 1 December 2011.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Leave as an ADA reasonable accommodation; when is enough…enough?

first_imgUnquestionably, when it come to tackling the Americans with Disabilities Act, one of the biggest issues affecting the workplace and accommodating disabled employees is providing leave as a reasonable accommodation. Anecdotally, a question that plagues most employers is just how much leave is enough?We know that an indefinite leave of absence is not a reasonable accommodation. But, what about when an employee takes one leave, after another, after another.When is enough enough?* * *The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals offered some guidance recently in Santandreu v. Miami Dade County. When an employee is uncertain about the duration of his condition, a leave of absence is not a reasonable accommodation:In the instant case, Santandreu never demonstrated that he would be able to return to work within a reasonable time. Santandreu had already taken several leaves of absence, received a total of fifteen months of leave, and still had no way of knowing when his doctor would allow him to resume full-time work. Even at the time of trial, Santandreu and his doctors attested that he still had not received medical clearance showing that he was able to work. Because Santandreu was unable to show that he would be able to perform the essential functions of the job anytime in the reasonably immediate future, his request for additional leave was not a request for a reasonable accommodation. This case is helpful to a point. Most employers faced with leave requests (as an ADA accommodation) are given an initial date certain (or estimated date) for the employee to return. There are times when that date will need to be pushed back. In Santandreau, enough was enough after about 17 months and four requests for extensions. Depending on the resources of your business, maybe the line could have been drawn sooner. Or maybe more leave would have been reasonable. What I’m saying is, Santandreau notwithstanding, there is no bright-line rule on time off. Except that: (1) indefinite leave is unreasonable; and (2) if your leave employee handbook quantifies a maximum amount of leave (e.g., no employee may take more than 12 consecutive weeks off), you’re asking for trouble — because rigidity is anathema to the interactive dialogue and individualized assessment that the ADA requires when determining reasonable accommodations. Instead, focus on open communication and good documentation. These are the hallmarks of reasonableness that a jury will understand if your ADA defenses are tested. More importantly, these are the attributes of good companies that will, hopefully, avoid lawsuits altogether and promote a happy workplace.last_img read more

Health Care: The Rush to Achieve “Meaningful Use” (and Payout)

first_imgShort term there are big incentives for health care providers to implement electronic health records.  But after the initial burst of stimulus money is gone, will these new systems really be sustainable and at least as cost effective as existing systems?  The answer seems obvious since the advantages and efficiencies of electronic data management are typically superior to equivalent paper-based systems.A problem is that in order to maximize any stimulus payouts, EHR systems must be in place before the July 2011 deadline.  The worry is that many health organizations may be rushing ahead too quickly, looking only at the stimulus dollars and not being careful enough in their planning.Beacon Partners, a health-care consultancy, survey 200 hospitals to find how they are approaching electronic health records and IT management.Currently most health organizations spend less than 5 percent of their capital budgets on IT.  Clinical equipment and facilities is where most of the spending dollars go.70 percent worry most about the quality of application reporting in order to qualify for “Meaningful Use”, the criteria for receiving stimulus funding80 percent say if they achieve “Meaningful Use” that they will maintain or increase their IT investments60 percent said that they are working on implementing health information exchanges (HIE), 15 percent already have an HIE,  and 25 percent are in the planning stages.More than three-quarter of  hospitals prefer single-vendor solutions for inpatient applications rather than best of breed solutions.40 percent plan to enhance their patient and physician web portalslast_img read more

Missouri tourism director out after whistleblower complaint

first_img(AP) – Missouri’s top tourism official is out of a job, days after a complaint accused him of excessive taxpayer-funded travel and improper acceptance of gifts from a state vendor.The Missouri Division of Tourism announced Director Ward Franz’s departure Friday but didn’t say if he was fired or resigned.An Oct. 25 letter from an investigator in Democratic state Auditor Nicole Galloway’s office outlined allegations from a whistleblower complaint. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch obtained the letter through an open-records request.The whistleblower alleged that in addition to travel expense concerns, Franz accepted baseball tickets “valued at over $1,000” for games at Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park.Franz does not have a listed phone number. He formerly served as chief of staff to Republican Gov. Mike Parson when Parson was lieutenant governor.last_img read more

ACC might be revived, says BCCI chief Dalmiya

first_imgQuite like the teasers that are these days released before the actual films, BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya said on Thursday that the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) might be “revived”, just two days after the body’s last AGM.The ACC – launched more than 31 years ago in the presence of Dalmiya in New Delhi – formally folds up, but its development manager/officers will continue to work from the ICC headquarters in Dubai. When asked about his memories, Dalmiya, 75, said although he has “sweet memories” of his association with the ACC, he does not completely rule out the revival of the body. Looking at his track record, Dalmiya’s words can be brushed aside. “I have sweet memories of the ACC. I will cherish them,” Dalmiya told MAIL TODAY. “As far as the future is concerned, who knows we might ‘revive’ the memories.” Asked if by reviving the memories he actually meant reviving the ACC, Dalmiya said: “It may be revived, who knows. But [it remains to be seen] which way it may come [back], which shape it might take.One can only say that we will have to wait and see for another one year, two years or four years…who knows.” It is not far to seek the probable reasons for Dalmiya’s optimism. It was ICC chairman N. Srinivasan, a former ACC president and till now chairman of its finance and marketing committee, who apparently wanted the ACC to merge with the ICC. His ICC tenure ends in June/July 2016.advertisement But new BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur has said that the Board would review his continuation as India’s nominee for the ICC at the AGM in September.  If the BCCI replaces Srinivasan, the new BCCI nominee might have a different take on the Asian body, and as Dalmiya said, it could well be revived. Outgoing ACC CEO Syed Ashraful Huq outlined another negative side of folding up the continental body – its incomplete ‘Project China’. “My only regret is that I could not see through the China project. I thought China had the potential [to make it big], if we had stuck to it, we could get a great cricketing nation. But the people in power did not want it to be encouraged,” Huq told MAIL TODAY. Asked about the person, Huq said: “Mr. Srinivasan didn’t like encouraging China, it seems. He was the ACC president [201214]…he didn’t really encourage.Even before that [as ACC’s finance committee chairman in 2011] he didn’t see any purpose of us going so much ahead in China. [He said] it was not worth it.” Srinivasan remained finance committee chairman till ACC’s very end. Huq said the funding as well as assistance by way of sending coaches/equipment to China has been much reduced. Huq pointed out that ex-ICC president Sharad Pawar and its principal advisor I.S. Bindra supported the China and USA projects. “Mr. Bindra was very impressed with the progress and the work we had done,” he said, particularly praising Chinese women’s team for making rapid progress. “We had gone full steam ahead at that time, but then things changed.”last_img read more