Unhappy Bayern slams media coverage

first_imgMUNICH (AP):Leading figures at German champions Bayern Munich hit out angrily against the media for its reporting of the club’s recent loss of form, even threatening to take legal action if necessary.Bayern’s chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, president Uli Hoeness and sport director Hasan Salihamidzic appeared together yesterday to speak out against what they consider unfavourable media coverage.Rummenigge labelled some of the criticism aimed at Bayern “derogatory, slanderous reporting” as he addressed a packed news conference.After winning the past six titles, the 28-time German champions are sixth in the Bundesliga and have not won their past four matches overall.”Today is an important day for Bayern Munich because we are telling you we will not put up with it anymore,” Rummenigge said.”Polemic seems to know no boundaries anymore … This applies to the media, it applies also to experts, and it applies above all to experts who once played football for this club.”Rummenigge even cited Article 1 of Germany’s basic law: “The dignity of man is sacrosanct.”The Bayern officials complained against ‘outrageous’ criticism of club stalwarts Manuel Neuer, Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels following Germany’s 3-0 loss to the Netherlands last week.Former Bayern player Olaf Thon, now a TV pundit, said Boateng and Hummels were playing “old-man football” in the side’s central defence. Thon, a skillful midfielder who played for Bayern from 1988-94 stood by his criticism.Bayern who started the season well under new coach Niko Kovac, with seven straight wins in all competitions, have been the subject of critical coverage for its lacklustre play in recent games. Kovac’s side has appeared flat and laboured and were humiliated 3-0 at home by Borussia Moenchengladbach before the international break.last_img read more

‘Red Bull, Ferrari may make a play for Hamilton’

first_imgBut with just 12 months left to run on his current contract, his future has yet to be decided.Hamilton is in talks with Mercedes about an extension but Mansell reckons if they don’t wrap that up soon, Red Bull or Ferrari may make a play for the driver.He told Press Association: “I would be very surprised if Lewis did not sign a new deal with Mercedes but if Red Bull or Ferrari were to do something special over the winter by making the jump over Mercedes, and then offer Lewis Hamilton an incredible deal, who knows?.“At the moment however, Lewis has the world at his feet, he is in the best car and at the best team, so why would you want to change it?“Some people in their careers are very privileged to be in a strong position and Lewis is one of those because he can afford to be patient.“When the time is right for him, he will sign on the dotted line.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Hamilton joined Mercedes in 2013 and has won three Drivers’ Championships with the Brackley squad.LONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 22 – Nigel Mansell says Red Bull or Ferrari may do “something special” to sign Lewis Hamilton, however, at the end of it all he expects the Brit will remain with Mercedes.Hamilton joined Mercedes in 2013 and has won three Drivers’ Championships with the Brackley squad.last_img read more