It’s been a week since Al-Shabaab militants attack on a Kenya’s Defence Forces base in Somalia, and Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta has vowed vengeance.Kenyatta says the attack, whose casualties are yet to be officially disclosed, had only renewed the country’s determination to destroy the terror group.
It’s been one year since deadly floods in the Ghanaian capital Accra.More than 150 people died as heavy seasonal rain turned roads into rivers and caused a petrol station to set on fire.Now, a year later, victims of the tragedy are still trying to rebuild their lives.Katerina Vittozzi has more.
The South Sudanese government plans to set up a body to take charge of its daily spending as the world’s youngest nation battles an economic crisis caused by more than two years of civil war.South Sudan’s finance minister Stephen Dhieu Dau said in a statement that the country’s current funding position is “uncertain and volatile” and “revenues may fall short of focus and will fluctuate widely in the short term.”“This situation calls for monthly, weekly and daily decisions on spending, borrowing and saving so that there are resources available to keep government functioning,” Dau added.The oil-producing nation saw inflation exceed 720 percent in August as it struggles with declines in oil revenue and the local currency.The government last week approved a 22.3 billion South Sudanese pound (about $474.7 million) budget for the 2016-17 fiscal year with plans to fund it by external borrowing and sales of crude.
The top United Nations official for Somalia has welcomed the country’s recent adoption of a federal budget as a major milestone in its economic development.The Horn of African nation’s move brings it one step closer to gaining access to funds from international financial institutions.The International Monetary Fund says Somalia owes US$5.2 B to its international creditors.The Somali parliament approved a 2018 budget last week, and the US$274 M package is a significant step towards meeting the fiscal reform requirements of the IMF’s ‘Staff Monitored Program’ for country.The SMP is designed to foster economic reconstruction efforts and enable countries to establish a track record of policy and reform implementation.Somalia had already completed its first SMP in 2016-2017.The country has been beset by a jihadist insurgency for the better part of a decade, crippling its development agenda, and forcing the government to focus almost entirely on security operations at the expense of other agenda.Current President Mohamed Abdulahi ‘Farmajo’ has however vowed to crash the al-Shabaab group that has been behind the Islamist attacks in the country.
South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir addresses the nation during an independence day event at the Presidential palace in Juba, South Sudan, July 9, 2017. REUTERS/Jok Solomun South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir addresses the nation during an independence day event at the Presidential palace in Juba, South Sudan, July 9, 2017. REUTERSThe United States, Britain and Norway have called on parties in the South Sudan conflict and their field commanders to stop violating the ceasefire signed last month.The three countries form a group that supported the 2005 accord that led to the independence of South Sudan from Sudan, and are threatening to impose individual or group sanctions for those violating the ceasefire, Reuters reports.Signed in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, the ceasefire is the latest attempt to end a four-year civil war that has killed tens of thousands. It is also designed to allow humanitarian groups’ access to civilians caught in the fighting.It aims to revive a 2015 peace deal that collapsed in 2016 after heavy fighting erupted in the capital Juba.President Salva Kiir’s decision to sack his deputy, Riek Machar, in 2013 triggered the war in the world’s youngest country. It has been fought largely along ethnic lines between forces loyal to Kiir, who is Dinka, and Machar, who is Nuer.The war has forced a third of the population to flee their homes.“We call on all signatories, and the field commanders who answer to them, to immediately end all military operations,” the three Western countries said in a statement.They added that field commanders and their political bosses would be held accountable for violating the ceasefire and impeding humanitarian assistance.There was no immediate comment from the army or the rebels.The ceasefire was to be followed by further talks focusing on a revised power-sharing arrangement leading up to a new date for polls.
Two arrested in connection with Mogadishu blast ATTENTION EDITORS – VISUAL COVERAGE OF SCENES OF INJURY OR DEATH Rescuers carry a wounded man from the scene of an explosion in Hodan district, Mogadishu, Somalia September 10, 2018. REUTERS/Feisal Omar Rescuers carry a wounded man from the scene of an explosion in Hodan district, Mogadishu, Somalia September 10, 2018. REUTERS/Feisal OmarAt least six people are dead after a suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle at the gate of a district headquarters in Somalia’s capital, authorities said Monday.Police Capt. Mohamed Hussein said the large blast badly damaged the compound of the Hodan district’s headquarters in Mogadishu.The Aamin Ambulance service said the toll was at least six with another 16 wounded. Hussein said most victims were district workers and soldiers.It was the second such attack on a district headquarters in the capital this month. The Howlwadag district headquarters was targeted on Sept. 2 with at least six people killed, including two children.The Al-Shabab extremist group claimed responsibility for both attacks. The Somalia-based group often targets the capital with bombings, including a truck bombing in October that left at least 512 people dead.Mogadishu residents have been dismayed by the car bombings that occur despite multiple checkpoints and hundreds of soldiers inspecting vehicles entering the city. The government has blocked most back streets as part of a new security strategy aimed at preventing attacks.Somali troops are meant to take over the Horn of Africa nation’s security in the coming years from an African Union force but concerns about their readiness remain high.The U.N. Security Council recently voted to delay the reduction of troops in the AU force from October to February and the target date to hand over security to Somali forces to December 2021.Related Car bomb kills at least four in Mogadishu Huge blast in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu
At least 14 killed in central Nigeria gunmen attack Nigeria’s military commanders shift command base Burkina Faso has been targeted by jihadist attacks since 2015. (AFP) Nigerian soldiers stand at the ready at the headquarters of the 120th Battalion in Goniri, Yobe State, in Nigeria’s restive northeast on July 3, 2019. – Boko Haram’s decade-long campaign of violence has killed 27,000 people and displaced about two million in Nigeria. The insurgency has spilled over into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting formation of a regional military coalition to defeat the jihadist group. (Photo by AUDU MARTE / AFP) (Photo credit should read AUDU MARTE/AFP/Getty Images)Jihadists killed 14 security personnel and civilians in an attack on a military base in northeast Nigeria’s Borno state on Wednesday, security sources told AFP.Suspected Boko Haram fighters in trucks fitted with machine guns launched a dawn raid on the army base in the town of Damboa, sparking intense fighting.Sources said six soldiers, four police officers and two members of a government-backed militia were killed along with two civilians.“We lost six soldiers in the attack while six others were injured,” a military officer told AFP on condition of anonymity.The officer claimed 13 insurgents were killed by a fighter jet as they fled the area.The leader of an anti-jihadist militia said the civilians who died were among more than 50 local residents hit by shrapnel after rocket-propelled grenades fired by the jihadists hit nearby homes.Nigeria’s decade-long jihadist insurgency has killed 36 000 people and displaced two million others inside the country, and spilled into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.The United Nations has complained of a surge in violence in the conflict zone in recent weeks.Anger has been growing among local residents about the army’s failure to stem the attacks despite repeated claims from officials that the insurgency has been defeated.Related At least 14 churchgoers killed by gunmen in Nigeria
Across Africa Public transport is an essential service, the sector serves millions of Africans on a daily basis. Transporting goods and passengers to nearly all corners of the continent. But with the corona virus pandemic It is not business as usual, the virus has made the public transport industry re-look at how best to combat the spread of the corona virus.In our on going coverage CGTN takes a look at how the Public transport sector is bracing itself against the covid 19 pandemic.MatatusThe mode of transport popular with majority of Kenyans is, the Matatu. These are public buses, mini buses or vans that ferry passengers and goods across the country. CGTN’s Asta Tall spent a day with a matatu crew on one of the Kenyan routes, she wanted to find out how the Matatu industry is coping.In Kenya, The Government issued stricter rules to govern the public transport sector on how the players will conduct themselves in the wake of the pandemic. During a press conference held on Friday, March 20, held in Nairobi, Kenya’s Health CS Mutahi Kagwe, laid down guidelines that were aimed at reducing congestion in the public service vehicles.“14-seater matatus will carry a maximum of eight passengers; 25-seater vehicles a maximum of 15 passengers, 30 seater vehicles and above to maintain a sixty per cent maximum of sitting capacity,” Kagwe stated.He further informed that the new guidelines issued would similarly extend to the Standard guage Railway (SGR) and commuter trains plying through the country every single day. The CS further added that all the public service operators were expected to clean and disinfect their vehicles at the end of each trip.The Health CS further directed the public transport operators to provide hand sanitizers for passengers.According to Abdi Saddam a route manager in one of the Matatu Saccos in Kenya the outbreak of covid 19 has hit the matatu sector really hard, many passengers are staying at home thus impacting on the bottom-lines of the public transport vehicles.TAXISThe taxi industry are also feeling the pinch. Drivers are a worried the lot as a result of the covid 19 pandemic, the drivers come into contact with millions of passengers and due to the fact that the car is small, the threat of contracting or spreading the virus is real. Some drivers are avoiding accepting ride request to or from the Airport, they fear the passengers coming or going out of the country are a high risk and thus not worth the money they will make in as much as the airport route is more lucrative for them.RAILWAYSThe Railway sector has not been left behind, Kenya’s flag ship the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) has put in place a raft of measures to ensure that the trains and passengers are safe. According to the management the trains are sprayed daily, in addition, all passengers are screened before they board the train. The screen takes the form of checking the passengers temperature, providing hand sanitizers, providing protective gear for the crew this includes, face masks, gloves, thermometers and hand sanitizers. The management of the GSR has even managed to provide an isolation coach and evacuation protocols just incase a passenger falls sick during the journey.The Kenyan scenario is being replicated in other African countries to try and disrupt the chain of transmission.Related Africa on high alert amid COVID-19 outbreak Togo confirms first COVID-19 case Africa Battles COVID-19: Can Africa win the fight?
Namibia Finance Minsiter Ipumbu Shiimi Namibia Finance Minsiter Ipumbu ShiimiNamibia has availed about 450 million dollars (8.1 billion Namibian dollars) stimulus and relief package geared at addressing the negative effects arising from the first 21-day lockdown period, officials said on Wednesday.While addressing the media, Finance Minister Ipumbu Shiimhi, said the package was directed at formal and informal businesses in sectors which are directly affected by the lockdown measures as well as households.“To avoid further retrenchments in the hardest-hit sectors, government will provide a wage subsidy to aid businesses in keeping employees on board in the tourism, travel and aviation and construction sectors.“Details will vary between sectors,” Shiimi said.According to the minister, part of the money will also cater for related labour market aspects such as job retention to mitigate the negative impact on income and provide for the basic amenities for households such as potable water.Namibia has so far recorded 13 COVID-19 cases.Related Namibia halts mining operations amid COVID-19 pandemic Togo confirms first COVID-19 case Stringent measures announced to tackle COVID-19 in S. Africa
Moroccan protestors clash with police in poor mining town Investors flock to Cape Town to laud African Mining Industry A Rwandan police drone fitted with a megaphone speaker flies in a residential neighbourhood to enforce a lockdown to stem the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Kigali, Rwanda April 15, 2020. Picture taken April 15, 2020. REUTERS/Jean Bizimana A Rwandan police drone fitted with a megaphone speaker flies in a residential neighbourhood to enforce a lockdown to stem the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Kigali, Rwanda April 15, 2020. Picture taken April 15, 2020. REUTERS/Jean BizimanaA small mining town in western Namibia said Wednesday it was deploying a drone to monitor if residents are complying with COVID-19 lockdown regulations.The drone will take aerial pictures which are used by law enforcement officers to punish those violating lockdown regulations, Irene Jacobs, spokesperson of the Arandis town, told local media.“This is in fact an efficient and inexpensive intervention that will not call for additional resources, cost or cause any disturbances,” Jacobs said.Namibia has recorded 16 cases of COVID-19, of which eight cases have recovered. The government has extended the country’s lockdown until May 4 to slow the virus’ spread.Related Morocco jails 16 over protests in impoverished mining town